Sunday, March 9, 2008

Atheism

Atheism is most commonly known as the belief that there is no god, nor the possibility of a god or gods. Most of the Atheists I know have told me that they know without a doubt that there is no god. Although I do not have a religion or a specific set of beliefs, I do not rule out the possibility of the existence of some sort of energy force or god. I believe that completely ruling something out is just foolish, as anything is possible, even if it cannot be proven through known methods. I also know people who are Christian and they too, know without a doubt that there is a god. Now this too is silly in my mind, as nobody can really prove the existence of god, even if they claim to just have "faith." Having complete faith that toys come alive when you leave the room does not make it true, no matter how much faith a person has.
Atheism and Christians have one thing in common, however, and that is logic. To an Atheist there is logically no god, but to a Christian it is logic that there a god. J.N. Findlay stated that "The heatheh may worship stocks and stones but does not see them as only stocks and stones." This statement accurately describes Christian beliefs as opposed to those of Atheists, as Christians do not see the concept of a god as just a concept, they see it as a logical truth. Atheists typically do not see something as greater than it is (according to the many Atheists I know; this could differ for others), therefore logic implies that there cannot be a god.

1 comment:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

I don't think it's "logic" as much as evidence that compels belief in something other, not necessarily greater, than what we currently know.